The black-eyed pea/lobia is a pale-colored bean with a prominent black spot, a legume widely grown around the world, all the peas are green when freshly shelled and brown or buff when dried. In the Southern United States, eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is thought to bring prosperity in the new year. (Source of Information: Wikipedia)
Black-eyed peas, like other beans and legumes, are profuse in both protein and complex carbohydrates.
The Recipe of Black-Eyed Peas/Lobia in Coconut Meat Gravy:
Quantity of lobia: 1 full small cup of small black-eyed beans (approximate 125gm of peas)
- Soak the black-eyed beans overnight in water; cook the beans in adequate quantity of water in a pressure cooker, in medium heat for up to 1 pressure cooker whistle.
- For coconut meat curry paste: Grind slices of a big onion, 5 garlic cloves, mince of fresh coconut meat from half of a small coconut shell, ½ tsp. of kashmiri chilli powder (kashmiri chilli powder gives food soft red colour with diminutive amount of pungency – you can also opt to use any other chilli powder according to preference of flavour) into thick sauce, using adequate quantity of water.
- For tomato puree: Grind slices of a big tomato
- In adequate quantity of warm ghee, saute the coconut meat curry paste until it condenses to a reasonable extent; add the tomato puree to the curry paste, cook the mix until it condenses to a reasonable level; smidgen the mix with salt – according to preference of taste, blend the mix with ¼ tsp. of turmeric powder; meld the mix with the cooked black-eyed beans along with the stock, simmer the curry for about 5 minutes.
A nutritious curry of lobia/black-eyed beans with the rich flavour of coconut meat
Serving size: Approximately 5-6
This tasty vegetarian food recipe of black-eyed peas/lobia in coconut meat gravy is an all season food recipe for healthy meal.
For healthy meal enjoy this nutritious curry/gravy of black-eyed peas in a balanced diet with:
- cooked rice (preferably kolam rice) or chapatti/whole wheat bread/multigrain bread
- pan-fried paneer (cottage cheese) cubes: pan-fry small paneer cubes in a tad quantity of butter; sprinkle the paneer cubes with pinch of salt, turmeric and chilli powder (optional); fry cottage cheese cubes until the cubes have a crisp texture on the surface.
- raw vegetable salad – preferably slices of tomato
A healthy meal for both summer and winter season, for lunch and dinner time; a nutritious kid-friendly meal which also serves as a good option for healthy lunch box food.
Wishing You a Wonderful Day
CREAMY BEANS: Beans are one of the nutritious foods available, a rich source of soluble fibre and of high quality protein. An interesting recipe to make it very yummy for the taste buds – black eyed beans in luscious mix of cheese and curd
Curry Creation – Beans in Buttermilk: Buttermilk is a very valuable food for health; I incorporated small black eyed beans with buttermilk to create a delectable curry delight.