Spinach, this green leafy vegetable is abundant with nutrients that are beneficial for human health.
The Recipe of Spinach Pulao:
Quantity of basmati rice: 2 small cups
For cooking the rice: Pour the rice in a thick bottom , medium-size, handi or saucepan; rinse the rice for about 2–3 times, then immerse rice in water – filled almost up to the utensil’s brim, add a tsp. of salt, keep the rice for cooking in medium heat; when a thick layer of cooked rice floats on top – switch-off the stove, and completely drain the water, reheat the cooked rice at low-heat for about 1–2 seconds, and cover the utensil for few minutes.
- In a blend of adequate quantity of warm, any mild-flavour, vegetable oil and ghee (clarified butter) – add finely mashed pieces of about 8 garlic cloves, finely sliced pieces of 5 small tomatoes and finely sliced pieces of a medium green capsicum (optional); smidgen the mixture with salt – according to preference of taste,
- Add finely sliced pieces of 2 medium potatoes to the melted mixture, add ½ glass of water to the mixture,
- Blend the mixture with ¼ tsp. of turmeric powder, ½ tsp. of tikhalal chilli powder for mild-pungent flavour – this chilli powder has high level of pungency and gives food bright red colour, and ½ tsp. of any garam masala – according to preference of flavour ( I had added shahi garam masala with no chilli power included in it),
- When the potato pieces are par-cooked, add finely sliced pieces of two generous handfuls of spinach leaves,
- After the potato pieces are cooked, the mixture will turn into thick gravy like consistency.
- To layer: On a very thick layer of warm cooked rice at the bottom of a medium-size, handi or saucepan – evenly spread the spinach mixture; again add a thick layer of rice to top with spinach mixture, and repeat the same the third time too; cover the utensil for some time to set the combination.
This pulao has the rich flavour of spinach.
Serving size: Approximately 4
Wishing You a Wonderful Day