The Indian mottled eel or Indian long fin eel also known as vam is a freshwater river eel, found throughout the Indian subcontinent and neighbouring regions including the East Indies. The Indian eels live in depth of freshwater rivers and during the monsoon migrate to the Indian Ocean.
The Indian mottled eel is valued as a food fish which offers various health benefits.
The recipe of delicious eel/vam fish curry:
The amazing flavour of this fish curry will be moderately spicy because of coriander leaves, and slight sweet-and-sour because of white cooking vinegar; and the aroma of this fish curry is incredible.
Quantity of eel fish pieces – about 1 kg
Marinate eel/vam fish pieces for at least 10 to 15 minutes in:
1 tsp. of turmeric powder,
1 tsp. of any garam masala – according to your preference of flavour (my preference of garam masala for this recipe is malvani garam masala),
¼ tsp. of tikhalal chilli powder for mild pungent flavour – this chilli powder has high level of pungency and gives food bright red colour,
2 tbsp. of white cooking vinegar.
To prepare fish curry –
- Sauté finely sliced pieces of 3 small onions in adequate quantity of warm, any mild flavour vegetable oil, add fine slices of hyderabadi green chilli or any other mild flavour chili pepper (optional); smidgen the mixture with salt – according to preference of taste,
- Add finely sliced pieces of 4 medium tomatoes to the translucent onion blend,
- Combine the melted mixture with ¼ kg of baby potatoes – peeled and sliced into halves, and handful of sliced pieces of coriander leaves,
- Blend the mixture with a glass full of water,
- When the potato pieces are par-cooked, add the marinated eel/vam fish pieces, cook the fish pieces in the vegetable-gravy mixture for 10 minutes in low heat.
Serving size: Approximately 4
Wishing You a Very Wonderful Day
Another Recipe of Eel: EEL Fry
Eels are elongated, snakelike, scaleless marine or freshwater fishes; ranging in length from 5 cm to 4 m.
This fish is quite meaty, and the meat is tasty.