Baingan is also known as brinjal/eggplant/aubergine. Different varieties of the eggplant produce fruit of different size, shape, and colour, though typically purple; and a much wider range of shapes, sizes and colours is grown in India.
For this recipe I have used the elongated oval-shaped, dark-purple skin baingan, and the two main ingredients used to flavour the bhaji are malvani garam masala ( – this roasted powder mix of spices is less peppery and more zesty than the regular garam masala), and dried kokum fruit (Malabar tamarind/ Gracinia indica) – is a tangy fruit; this fruit can reduce fat, purify blood, aid in digestion and also reduce cholesterol.
In a mixture of 5 teaspoonful of rice bran oil and 5 teaspoonful oil used to fry non-vegetarian food (optional),
- Chucked a teaspoon of mustard seeds to crackle,
- Added finely sliced pieces of (3 medium) onions,
- Peppered the translucent onion slices with slices of a green chilli ,
- Dashed the mixture with a teaspoon of salt,
- Flavoured the mixture with sliced pieces of (3 medium) tomatoes,
- Added finely chopped pieces of (2) brinjals to the mixture,
- Sprinkled the mixture with a handful of finely chopped shreds of coriander leaves,
- Spiced the mixture with finely mashed pieces of (5 to 7) garlic cloves and a minute share of ginger; half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a teaspoonful of malvani garam masala,
- Poured one glass full of (about 5) dried kokum fruit saturated water to citrus the mixture,
And after the brinjal pieces turn tender, enjoy the spicy and tangy Bhaji.
♥ (Happy Eating)♥
Intellectual Property Fees
I am Sylvia Miranda, the author of the blog masalahealth.com: A blog of innovative and healthy food recipes written in an unorthodox format. I am a recipe developer. I have an inherent ability to create recipes with new flavours using natural ingredients — I create both vegetarian and non-vegetarian recipes, for this I usually use less number of ingredients to keep the recipe simple and easy, which are certainly tasty and are beneficial to health in general. Each recipe is written according to my awareness of the recipe when I create it, in a writing skill which is very easy for the reader to comprehend.